Primary care is so fundamental to getting good outcomes and controlling costs. Primary care physicians and other advanced practitioners have been erroneously referred to as "gatekeepers." In fact, they are navigators, advisors, sages, counselors and more.
So many questions involve primary care:
- Are my covered members with diabetes under best possible control and on a path to avoid costly and disabling complications? And what about those with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and other chronic conditions?
- Are my members being appropriately advised about alcohol, tobacco, drug use, nutrition and other modifiable risk factors?
- Can my members reach their primary care physicians and providers to get timely intervention that can prevent costly emergency room treatments?
- Do my members get good care during transistions of care such as hospital discharges, emergency room follow-ups and more?
- Do my members have to jump hurdles to be seen when unexpected illness occurs?
- Are my providers aware of social determinants of health that come to bear on the outcome of any medical treatment (income, adequate housing, access to healthy food, access to transportation, health literacy, a safe home environment, for example)?
Plan on joining us on Thursday October 25 at 11:30for an engaging Lunch & Learn so you can better understand the value of the primary care you are buying for your members. Formal announcement to follow....